DR. SHEPPARD HOUSE
FIRST FLOOR RESTORATION
CROCUS HILL, SAINT PAUL, MINNESOTA
Dr. Sheppard House, a magniﬁcent historic property, was built in 1907, and is located in the famous Summit Hill (also named Crocus Hill) neighborhood of Saint Paul, Minnesota. This structure is part of one of the longest stretch of well-preserved Victorian mansions in the United States. Its name comes from Dr. Sheppard, the former owner of the house, who commissioned the restoration work.
The interiors, especially those located on the ﬁrst ﬂoor, were decorated with oil on canvas decorative murals mounted on walls and ceilings. They were executed in the artist’s studio and then mounted on walls and ceilings. Another important part of the interior decoration is the elaborate Honduras mahogany and oak woodwork: boxbeams, columns, staircase, and moldings. The canvas murals, as well as the architectural elements in the Parlor, Living Room, Dining Room, and Kitchen were restored.
Restoration consisted of:
- Reattaching the delaminated mural sections to the plaster support
- Filling cracks and missing areas of paint
- Inpainting, using reversible conservation materials
- Varnishing with a reversible and UV protective synthetic varnish